Our SENDCo is Mrs A Jenkinson.

Contact: 01609776273

Please see our SEN policy here

Click here to access the North Yorkshire website including their local offer.


South Otterington CE Primary School Provision for children with SEND

It is our aim:

·         For all children to be included in and to have access to a broad, balanced and relevant curriculum.

·         For children to achieve the very best they are capable of.

·         For children to experience a wide range of activities leading to greater independence and decision making.

·         For children to be happy and to demonstrate personal development.

·         For children’s needs to be identified early and or all learners to be well equipped to meet those needs.


The following information briefly outlines SEND provision at South Otterington CE Primary School.

Special Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) – Mrs A. Jenkinson. You can contact her via the school office on: 01609 776273.

Please see the Inspection Reports page for our latest Ofsted report and the Policies page for our SEN policy – Both pages are in School Info.

Click here to access the North Yorkshire website including their local offer.

North Yorkshire ‘offer’ School ‘offer’

Quality Mark

Many North Yorkshire schools have used our Inclusion Quality Mark (IQM) to evaluate how successfully they include all learners, including those with SEND.

The IQM allows schools to show how they are benefitting different groups of learners, and how their outcomes are improving as a result of their work. A full list of North Yorkshire schools currently holding the IQM is available.

We have achieved the Inclusion Quality Mark (IQM) Level 3 – Evidencing Inclusion. This is the highest level of the North Yorkshire Inclusion Award and evidences our high commitment to inclusion.
Universal Provision High quality support for learning within mainstream lessons is the most important factor in helping pupils with SEND to make good progress alongside their peers. Your school will be able to describe some of the approaches that classroom teachers and other staff will be using throughout the day to help address your child’s needs within lessons. They may also be able to share with you the school’s overall plan of support (provision map), which outlines many of these strategies. The school must have a named governor who holds the school to account for making good provision for pupils with SEND. All staff are committed to providing high quality first teaching with the aim that all children can make at least good or better progress with their learning.

Lessons are carefully differentiated to meet the needs of all children. Staff use a variety of teaching styles and resources in lessons to support children’s individual learning styles. Many children are supported by teaching assistants.

Recording Provision Where the school feels that something additional or different is needed to support your child because they have SEND they will discuss this carefully with you. This information may well be recorded in a document for you and your child, known as an individual provision map or an individual education plan. This should include:- details of any strategies being used to support your child in class; details of any extra support or interventions for your child; your child’s learning targets; the next date when your child’s progress will be reviewed. Children with SEN have an individual inclusion passport which is updated at least termly in consultation with the class teacher; children and parents/carers.
Interventions Schools use a range of interventions to support pupils with SEND to make better progress. Interventions are structured learning programmes. Your school will be able to explain to you: what interventions your child is receiving and what are the intended learning outcomes; when during the week any interventions will be delivered and for how many weeks; who will be delivering the interventions (usually a well-trained teaching assistant) and where (e.g. in class or outside the classroom); how the interventions will relate to and support learning in the classroom; how they will be monitored closely to make sure they are helping your child to make accelerated progress. We are able to offer interventions if necessary to support the needs of all children.

Following a baseline assessment, interventions are carefully monitored in order to ensure they maximum impact on children’s learning.

Extra Adult Support There may be occasions when the school feels that some additional support within lessons may help your child to make better progress. This is by no means always the case. However, if some additional small group or one to one support within lessons is planned, the school will explain how this will work, what the aims of this support will be and how and when the impact of this support will be reviewed. Most importantly, this support should be aiming to make your child more independent in lessons. Our school has skilled teaching assistants who support both individual and groups of children throughout the school. We carefully match the needs of children to the skills of the TA.
Expected Progress All pupils with SEND should make at least expected progress, in line with their peers. Your school will be able to explain how it will be monitoring your child’s progress to ensure that it is at least in line with expectations. This will usually include progress make with personal targets, and overall progress with National Curriculum levels. When children enter primary school there are age related expectations (ARE) which are the average levels for children at the end of each academic year. These children are classed as ‘Working within’ their ARE as follows:

Y1 1W+

Y2 2W+

Y3 3W+

Y4 4W+

Y5 5W+

Y6 6W+

However, some children are ‘Beginning’ and some children are more advanced ‘Secure’.

Not all children will be able to achieve these national age expectations and progress appropriately without some additional support. This may be for a short or more extended period of time.

The progress of all children is reviewed at least termly to ensure they are making expected or better progress.

You will have the opportunity to discuss your child’s progress at the parent/teacher consultation evenings and at review meetings.

Support from other agencies The Local Authority offers a range of specialist support and outreach services, including educational psychologists and local enhanced mainstream schools, to help schools to deliver appropriate support and interventions. Other specialists such as speech and language therapists can also support schools in this. If the school feels that the involvement of another agency will help the m to meet your child’s needs you will be informed and asked to give your consent. Sometimes it will be helpful for school to request some additional support and expertise from an outside agency.

Our schools have established excellent working relationships with professionals including the following agencies in North Yorkshire:

o   Educational Psychologist

o   School Nurse and Health Visitor

o   Educational Social Worker

o   Sensory, Physical and Medical Teaching Team

o   Speech and Language Therapist

o   Physiotherapist

o   Occupational Therapists

o   Paediatrician

o   Enhanced Mainstream Schools (specific learning difficulties)

o   The Dales School outreach service

Professionals from the above agencies regularly support staff and children in school. School would only contact an outside agency after consultation with parents.

On-going communication with parents  Schools communicate regularly with parents, usually once a term, to discuss how well their child is doing. For pupils with SEND it is often desirable that there is more frequent communication as it is vital that parents and school work together closely. Your knowledge and understanding of your child’s needs is essential to support the school in making the best provision for them. This should also take account of your and your child’s hopes, personal goals and interests.

This will allow the school to regularly explain to you where your child is in their learning, and to work with you to ensure the most appropriate targets are set to ensure progress. You should be informed about the National Curriculum levels at which your child is working. If you are not sure what these mean, don’t be afraid to ask.

On-going communication with school may include: regular contact through a home-school book or by email to keep you informed of things that are going well or particular successes; more regular meetings to update you on your child’s progress and whether the support is working; clear information about the impact of any interventions; guidance for you to support your child’s learning at home.

Regular contact with parents is really important for children with SEND. All parents have the opportunity to discuss their child’s progress and targets at Parent/Teacher Consultation evenings and at review meetings.

For some children, regular communication takes place on a daily basis through the use of a home/school book or contact with the class teacher before or after school.


Inclusion Passports Many schools use Inclusion Passports. This is a document that summarises the support that has been given to a pupil over a period of time, and the difference that this support has made. You may like to ask your child’s school whether an inclusion passport would be useful for you and your child. Your child may well have their own version which they can share with staff and which can help to explain their interests and things that help them learn and to enjoy school. Inclusion Passports are used for all children with SEN in order to summarise the support that has been provided for a child. The documentation also highlights individual strengths and achievements. It details strategies which have been ineffective as well as noting the positive impact particular support has made to the child’s learning.

This Passport will follow the child as they move on to a new school.

Parent Partnership A Parent Partnership Co-ordinator can be contacted through North Yorkshire’s education offices or on 0845 034 9469. The Parent Partnership Co-ordinators can offer impartial advise and support which could include making a home visit to listen to any concerns you may have, or attending meetings with you. They may also be able to put you in touch with other organisations or parent support groups.


The Parent Partnership Adviser, Jane Clark, is available to offer advice, listen to worries or concerns, offer home visits, attend review meetings or support transition to a new school. Their advice is impartial and can be provided in the home setting. They can be contacted via school.
Statutory Assessment For a very few children more help will be needed than is normally available through the school’s own resources. Schools, parents and other agencies may decide that it is necessary to request a statutory assessment through the local authority. Your school, or a Parent Partnership Co-ordinator can talk to you about this in more detail From time to time some children may not make progress despite receiving additional support in school and from external agencies. In consultation with parents and other agencies, the school may decide to request a statutory assessment (RSA) in order to provide the long-term support a child may need.

School is not the only organisation who can request statutory assessment (RSA). Parents can also make a request to the local education authority.

Statements have now been replaced by Education, Health Care Plans (EHCP).

Key Contacts All mainstream schools have a SENCo. They, along with your child’s class teacher, will be able to discuss your child’s needs with you, the support for learning that the school is providing to meet their needs, and what expectations the school has for your child’s progress. In our schools we operate an ‘open door’ policy. Parents and carers are encouraged to speak with the class teacher about any concerns they may have. They will be able to discuss any support your child is receiving.

If you wish to discuss your child’s needs please contact the class teacher who will liaise with the SENCO to talk to you about how our school can support